Frankincense oil is extracted from the resin of the Boswellia carterii or Boswellia sacara tree that’s commonly grown in the Middle Eastern regions and Somalia. This tree can grow in extremely dry and arid conditions.
The Frankincense resin has been used by many different religions over the years, especially the Jewish and Christian religions, burning it as incense during worship. Frankincense got its importance because it was one of the first gifts given to Jesus by the wise men. Frankincense oil is either inhaled or absorbed through the skin after mixing with a carrier oil, like almond, coconut or olive oil. It can also be used after mixing with any unscented lotion or jojoba oil. The oil supposedly transmits messages to the limbic system of the brain, which influences the nervous system. Only a few drops of this oil should be inhaled or used on the skin. This oil may not suit all people, so test this oil before starting to use it daily.
This oil is nowadays used in homes during Meditation and Yoga time. Experiencing peace and quiet while diffusing this oil can help promote brain focus. Use 2 – 3 drops in a diffuser for a 15 – 30-minute session.
When purchasing essential oils, always avoid synthetic oils. They don’t provide the desired health benefits. Instead, look for oils that say “pure essential oil” or “100% essential oil” for the highest quality essential oils.
- Helps Reduce Stress and Negative Emotions: Inhaling the fragrance from the diffuser has been shown to reduce heart rate and high blood pressure. This oil helps with overcoming anxiety and depression. It does not have negative side effects.
- Helps Boost Immune system of the body: Scientific research has shown that Frankincense has immune-enhancing abilities to help the body destroy harmful bacteria, viruses and even certain cancers. (1) This essential oil can be used to keep germs from forming on the skin, mouth or in your home. People choose to use frankincense to naturally relieve oral health issues; the antiseptic qualities of this oil can help prevent gingivitis, bad breath, cavities, toothaches, mouth sores and other infections from occurring. (2)
- Helps Fight Cancer and deal with Chemotherapy side effects: Frankincense oil has been shown to help fight certain types of cancer. (3) A 2012 study even found that a chemical compound found in frankincense called Akba is successful at killing cancer cells that have become resistant to chemotherapy, which may make this oil a potential natural cancer treatment. Studies are still ongoing in this field.
- Powerful Astringent that helps kill harmful Bacteria and germs: Frankincense is an antiseptic and disinfectant. It has the ability to eliminate cold and flu germs from the home and the body naturally and can be used instead of chemical cleaners. Drops of this oil can be mixed in with plain warm water soap solution and used to mop and wipe floors at home, in hospitals, clinics, dental clinics and office buildings.
- Rejuvenates youthful look and heals skin: Frankincense has the ability to strengthen elasticity of the skin and improve its tone, improve the skin’s defense mechanisms against blemishes caused by bacteria or daily exposure to climate, and refresh youthful appearance as you age. It helps improve the tone and make the skin taut, helping avoid wrinkles, reduces the appearance of scars and acne, and heals wounds. It is also used on the skin to help fade surgery scars, stretch marks due to pregnancy, and for healing dry or severely cracked skin, due to cold winter or harsh external conditions.
- Helps balance our hormonal levels as we age: Frankincense oil reduces painful symptoms associated with menstruation and menopause by balancing hormone levels. It can help relieve pain, cramps, constipation, headaches, anxiety, nausea, fatigue and wild mood swings. Frankincense oil helps with regulating estrogen production and reduce the risk of tumor or cyst development in premenopausal women.
- Beneficial to Digestion: Frankincense essential oil helps the digestive system to properly detox and produce regular bowel movements. It helps reduce severe cramping in the stomach, relieve nausea, flushes out excess water from the abdomen that causes bloating and relieve PMS-related stomach pains. (4) This oil helps speed up the secretion of digestive enzymes, relaxing the muscles of your digestive tract thereby helping improve blood circulation, which is needed for proper digestive tract health. It’s been shown to be beneficial in reducing symptoms of the leaky gut syndrome, chronic colitis, ulcerative colitis, Crohn’s disease and IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) all of which are age-related health issues. (5) It also helps in increasing urine production which helps eliminate toxic wastes from the body, resulting in the overall great health of your body.
- An effective sleep aid: Frankincense essential oil is useful in lowering levels of anxiety or chronic stress that can keep you awake at night. It has a calming fragrance that can help you fall asleep without the need for medication. It helps by opening your nostrils and allows your body to reach and keep an ideal sleeping temperature throughout the night.
- Helps Decrease Inflammation and Pain due to age: Frankincense can stop the production of inflammation associated with conditions like arthritis, asthma, painful bowel disorders like IBS and similar conditions. (6) It can be useful in helping prevent the breakdown of the cartilage tissue and has been shown to significantly reduce levels of dangerous and painful inflammation, making it a natural treatment option for pain-related conditions that affect the muscles, joints, and tendons. Applying this oil topically on the affected area is recommended in small doses. If allergy or other reaction occurs, discontinue use at once, as this oil may not suit all people.
Use with caution: Frankincense essential oil is extremely well-tolerated by most people. There are no serious side effects of using frankincense oil reported so far. The user must not ingest large quantities, which can result in this oil becoming toxic. Direct Ingestion is not recommended. Ingest this oil by using small quantities (up to a teaspoon) indirectly through soups or stews to provide health benefits to your body. Stop use immediately if this oil does not agree with you.
Frankincense oil can cause certain adverse reactions for some people, like minor skin rashes, digestive issues like nausea or stomach pains. Frankincense has blood-thinning effects, so anyone who has problems related to blood clotting should avoid using this oil or consult with a doctor first. Avoid total use of Frankincense essential oil if you are taking anticoagulant or nervous system related medications.