Lemongrass and its oil have been used for hundreds of years. It is well known for its herbal and medicinal properties. Back in the day, Indian and Chinese doctors, who were known as the natural healers, used Lemongrass in various ways to help people with their ailments. They used it to treat infectious illnesses and fevers, cold, and rheumatism. The plant was used to cleanse dwellings, used in spiritual cleansing rituals to protect and purify the home against evil, negative energies.
Lemongrass oil has a citrus aroma and lemony flavor. It is used to flavor soups, teas, and other meat, poultry dishes. This essential oil also adds fragrance to homemade cleaners, deodorizers, candles, soaps, and shampoos.
Today, Swiss Mist’s organic Lemongrass Essential Oil has potential medicinal and therapeutic properties. It can be used externally to reduce muscle inflammation, as an insect repellent, and kill bacteria on contact. Using it as a home cleaner helps. Used in foods and soups, it helps with ease of digestion. It is not only an anti-bacterial but an antiviral, antifungal and antiseptic.
Chemical Compounds and Properties: The Lemongrass plant’s biological names are Andropogon Citratus and Cymbopogon Citratus. The oil is extracted from the leaves of the plant through steam distillation. The chemical compounds extracted are Citral, Geranyl Acetate, Limonene, Myrcene, Farnesol, Nerol, Neral, Citronellal, Geraniol, Terpineol, Dipentene, Methyl and Heptenone.
These naturally derived chemical properties have the power to mitigate fungal and bacterial infections on surface tops and in the air.
Benefits and Uses of Lemongrass Oil:
1. Lemongrass oil is an anti-inflammatory. It helps with relieving sore muscles when used as a massage oil. It can also help alleviate a cramped stomach.
2. It can be used to apply on cuts and wounds. Mix a few drops of Lemongrass essential oil in saline solution to wash and clean wounds.
3. When used in soups and foods along with Ginger Carrier oil, this essential oil can act as an antimicrobial to prevent infections in the urinary tract, stomach, colon, respiratory tube and organs.
4. Lemongrass oil can be used to bring down anxiety levels due to stress caused by work, sorrow, and grief caused due to death of a loved one. It can help uplift human spirits, improve mental strength, levels of tolerance and raise confidence levels. Add a few drops to unlit candles or use in diffusers.
5. The Lemongrass essential oil can be used in moist heat applied through a hot, wet towel on the forehead of a person or child suffering from fever. It can also relieve congestion in the windpipe and infection in the lungs if added to green tea or regular hot tea.
6. Viral infections like the cold, influenza, can be reduced by inhaling Lemongrass essential oil in a hot vapor steam inhalation.
7. Using lemongrass oil in foods and soups helps with increased urination. This helps the user lose fat through urine. About 4% of the urine volume is composed of fats. And urinating frequently keeps your kidney and bladder healthy, as urine cleanses out your body by removing toxins.
8. The oil from Lemongrass can be used to treat athlete’s foot and ringworm infections.
9. Adding 20 to 30 drops of Lemongrass essential oil to 24 or 32 oz of water can make the resulting spray an effective insect repellent.
10. Pour 2 drops of Lemongrass essential oil on your palm and rub both your palms together, then inhale it gently. This will help your senses revive and make you more alert to your surroundings.
11. Inhaling Lemongrass oil can help calm your body, lower stress levels, and stimulate your nerves.
12. Adding a few drop of Lemongrass essential oil to tea can help with reducing menstrual cramps for women.
13. Lemongrass essential oil can be added to body wash, shampoos, or in a tub for a relaxing, hot water soak. This oil helps fight skin infections and keep your skin looking young.
14. Strengthen your hair follicles by mixing a few drops of lemongrass oil with a carrier oil like Coconut oil to make your hair roots vibrant and healthy.
15. Adding a few drops of Lemongrass oil to your daily tea will help you produce anti oxidants which will help your body fight cancerous cells by strengthening your immune system and antibodies for other infections.
16. Inflammation caused by Arthritis, Diabetes, Nerve disorders, unhealthy Cholesterol levels, Cardiovascular disease and other health issues, can be mitigated when you rub 3 drops of Lemongrass oil over the affected area.
Precaution: Using Lemongrass oil without proper directions or applying it to users with sensitive skin or babies is not advised. If you must use Lemongrass essential oil make sure the recipient does not get affected by it. Keep all essential oils out of the reach of children, at all times. Wash your hands before and after use of all types of essential oils. Make sure your family members are not allergic to the smell and flavors of Lemongrass oil before you use it in soups or dishes. Always, perform a skin patch test before you apply it fully. Sensitive skin users have to be extra careful with the use of essential oils. Pregnant women and people with medical conditions have to use essential oils with caution or not use it at all.